Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes
No matter your age, following a heart-healthy diet is beneficial and a great way to help lower the risk of heart disease. Think heart-healthy diets are bland and boring? Think again! Here are five easy, flavor-forward recipes that will have your heart and taste buds feeling the love.
1. Heart Healthy Pizza: No, it's not too good to be true, and yes, you read that right: This is a recipe for a pizza that's heart-healthy. Topped with tasty and heart-healthy veggies and, of course, cheese, this pie will leave you feeling as good as it tastes.
2. Cod Fish Tacos: Give your Taco Tuesday a heart health upgrade by replacing your protein with cod! Cod is an excellent source of omega-3s which is an essential fatty acid. It takes less than 30 min to whip this entire dish up--including the addictive sauce and slaw!
3. Vegan Broccoli Soup: Is there anything more heart-warming than a big bowl of soup? This recipe is total comfort food; it's tasty, easy, and full of -- spoiler alert -- broccoli! Broccoli, and other cruciferous veggies, are a fantastic source of heart health benefits. There's even a 1/4c of fresh dill, an herb full of flavonoids, thrown in the mix.
4. Sweet and Sour Pork Fried Rice: The next time you're craving takeout, try this lightened-up twist on fried rice instead! By swapping a few ingredients with their healthier counterparts, you can obtain the same scrumptious fried rice flavor without excessive sodium and fat intake.
5. One-Dish Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet: One skillet, two steps, and three heart-healthy ingredients combine for a delicious dinner! This recipe has a make-ahead, freezer-friendly option, too!
Before making any changes to your diet, please check with your healthcare provider first to determine what type of nutritional plan is right for you.