Healthy Cinco De Mayo Recipes
Celebrating Cinco de Mayo doesn’t have to cost your healthy eating habits. There’s plenty of ways to indulge in delicious Mexican cuisine while still staying conscious about your food choices. If you want some south-of-the-border inspo, check out these healthy Cinco de Mayo recipes.
Jalapeno Cucumber Skinny Margarita
Celebrating Cinco de Mayo with a margarita is a given, but that doesn’t mean you need to load up on the sugar! Check out this sugar-free skinny marg recipe.
1. Peel and cut one cucumber into cubes, throw into a blender with 2 tbsps of water and just a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth.
2. Add ¼ cup of blended cucumber and 2 jalapeno slices (remove the seeds if you don’t like it spicy!) to a glass and muddle.
3. Add one shot of your preferred silver tequila.
4. Squeeze half a lime into the glass.
5. Stir and fill the rest with ice.
6. To make the margarita sweet, add a small splash of triple sec. Or, for a healthier option, substitute with a few drops of liquid stevia.
Fresh Guacamole and Salsa
With guacamole and salsa, simple is better. Complete your Mexican food spread with a classic, yet delicious guacamole and salsa combo. Don’t forget to add the chips!
2 roma tomatoes
½ red onion
3 cloves of garlic
1. Cut avocados into halves, remove seeds and peel. Place avocados into a large bowl.
2. Dice the tomatoes, ½ red onion and one jalapeno. If you don’t want your guacamole too spicy, then remove the jalapeno seeds. Place all ingredients into bowl.
3. Peel three cloves of garlic. Dice small and thinly. Throw into bowl.
4. Chop ¼ cup cilantro. If you’re a cilantro lover, don’t be scared to go up to ½ cup! Place into bowl.
5. Squeeze 1 lime into bowl and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4 roma tomatoes
Small canned diced tomatoes
1 yellow onion
1. First things first, all of these ingredients will go into a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, then a blender will work, too. Just be mindful of how much you are blending the ingredients.
2. Cut roma tomatoes, jalapeno and onion into quarters. Throw into the food processor.
3. Add the canned diced tomatoes. Canned tomatoes make a nice salsa consistency, but you can substitute for more tomatoes if you’re not a can fan.
3. Add a small bundle of cilantro. Use more or less depending on your love for cilantro.
4. Squeeze two lime halves into the food processor.
5. Add one tsp cumin.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Pulse the food processor until desired consistency. If you want chunky salsa, make sure you pulse in quick and short bursts!
Pro tip: want a dip that all your friends will rave about? Turn your guacamole and salsa into a seven layer dip! All you need to do is layer each ingredient into a deep serving dish. You’ve already done the hard part, now just add the layers:
First layer: refried beans
Second layer: sour cream (sub greek yogurt for a healthier option)
Third layer: guacamole
Fourth layer: salsa
Fifth layer: shredded mexican cheese
Sixth layer: chopped black olives
Seventh layer: chopped pickled jalapenos
And, voila! You just created one of the best dishes at the party!
Pan Seared Shrimp Tacos
Yum, right?! These freshly grilled shrimp tacos will take your Cinco de Mayo dinner by storm. Make sure you save at least two for yourself before they’re all gone!
1. One pound frozen or fresh shrimp (if using frozen, be sure to thaw first)
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp paprika
2. Corn tortillas
4. Roma tomatoes
5. Olive oil
1. Create the shrimp rub by combining 1 tbsp pepper, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder and ½ tbsp paprika.
2. Sprinkle the rub over both sides of the shrimp. Let the shrimp set for 10 minutes to soak in the rub.
3. Lightly coat your pan in olive oil. Place the shrimp into the pan and cook until pink.
4. While cooking the shrimp, warm the tortillas on a stove burner.
5. Prepare your taco ingredients by slicing the cabbage and dicing the tomatoes.
6. Throw some shrimp, cabbage and tomato onto a corn tortilla. Add guacamole and salsa from the recipes above, and enjoy your delicious tacos with a cucumber jalapeno skinny marg!